Wednesday 6 September 2017

ABOUT MY MUSIC PASSION BLOG

So by way of introduction to My Music Passion blog...


A highly talented and much respected DJ/musician/producer/songwriter recently suggested I start a music blog (but it’ll only be just for fun!).  It actually feels like a natural progression given how much time I already spend posting on social media about the music I love and gigs I attend!  The reason I do this is simple – I feel strongly that the amazing music I hear and awesome bands I see are so good that everyone should know about them, especially where some of the music/artists/gigs are not publicised in mainstream media.


I am predominantly a fan of electronic/synth-pop/synth wave music.  This was the genre which formed the musical landscape of my teen/formative years and pretty much defined the late 1970s/early 1980s, and I love it to this day – eg: Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, New Order, Pet Shop Boys, Ultravox, Kim Wilde, ABC, Erasure, Howard Jones, Nik Kershaw,  OMD, Visage, Yazoo, Alison Moyet, Eurythmics, Culture Club, Thompson Twins, The Human League, etc, etc.





However, I do love most genres from the late 1970s into the 1980s, especially American rock, country rock, pop and soul.  There are too many to mention but favourites include Def Leppard, KISS, REO Speedwagon, Heart, Chicago, Whitney Houston, Madonna, Wham, Michael Jackson, Pointer Sisters, Gloria Estefan, Sister Sledge, Belinda Carlisle, Paul Young, etc, etc.




I am also a big fan of the music from the 1950s – 1979s, and again, there are way too many to mention but favourites include Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Frank Sinatra, David Bowie, Stevie Wonder, Queen, Billy Joel, Elton John, The Bee Gees,  ABBA , The Eagles – the list is endless.


The 1950s – 1980s produced so many innovative, pioneering and talented legendary artices who have either left enduring legacies or are still writing music and, touring to this day.  I am not a fan of today’s current ‘music’ (and for me, I use that term loosely in this context).  To me, it all sounds the same, each song merges into the next, and each artist’s style has been done before.  Nothing stands out.  Nothing is exceptional.  


This is of course my opinion and others will of course differ because some people like today’s music - we are all different and all like different things - but let me ask this; where are today’s iconic recording artists?  None of today’s artists are even remotely comparable to the likes of Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, ABBA, Whitney Houston, Depeche Mode, The Eagles, etc, etc.  The music industry doesn’t produce them anymore.  Instead, the music industry is over-run with ‘talent’ (and again, I use that term loosely in this context) show winners/lowers/wannabees (the record labels/management do not seem to discriminate). 


But – do not let the mainstream music biz dictate your musical preferences because there is amazing new music being made by modern artists – and they can be found on the modern underground electronic music scene.  These artists are incredibly talented and write, produce and perform the most amazing electronic music/synth-pop, and this is the only new music I love.  Frustratingly, these artists are not getting the recognition or exposure they so deserve, but it is certainly not due to a lack of talent. 


You may not know of these modern electronic/synth-pop artists and so may not be inclined to listen to their music, but unless you give them a chance, how do you know whether you like them?  How do you know you’re not missing out on something amazing? Just remember – you hadn’t heard of Duran Duran or Spandau Ballet or Depeche Mode, etc, initially until that first listen of their debut single, then you loved them and became a devoted life-long fan.


I know I don’t like today’s mainstream music because I’ve listened to it. 


I am not a music journalist and I am not an expert.  I certainly will not be writing reviews because music is very subjective – what one person loves, another may not, no matter how objectively good that music or objectively talented that artist is.  All I want to do is blog about the music, artists and gigs that I love and, importantly, also provide factual information about the artist, the gig/festival, the venue, etc.  Then you can make up your own mind and form your own opinion.  It’s not for me to tell you whether you should like something, but I hope that through my blog, you either rediscover some music or a band that you love, or that you discover some new music or a new artist that you may not have heard of before, but come to love.


The main subjects of my blogs will be the iconic artists of my generation, particularly those that are still making music and touring, about celebrity DJs and their gigs/PAs, about the artists making music on the modern underground electronic music scene and their gigs/festivals, and also about online independent radio stations, radio shows and independent DJs and promoters.  I will also provide information about the venues, locally and nationally, and may even provide some hotel/travel information!


So, all I ask is – keep an open mind, try something new, and if you love it, share it.


"Music is the strongest form of magic" - Marilyn Manson









14 comments:

  1. Rock, Pop, Blues, Jazz, Classical Music has a way of transporting you to a time or a place filled full of memories. Do not limit what you listen to because you are missing out on a true education x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you much luck on your blog! Looking forward to reading it!!❤️❤️ Bernard Frazer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! Can't wait to read more!
    Tony B
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gonna be fabulous Lorraine! Go girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much - I appreciate that a lot ❤❤xxxx

      Delete
  5. Well done Lorraine , also if you get a lot of followers and readers , you should start to get into gigs as a guest if you are a great blogger and i think you could be . These guys started that way http://www.gigjunkies.com/about-2/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rusty, I really appreciate that coming from you. Neex to work on the actual website layout but I've got so many ideas for blogs and most of them are electronic!

      Delete
  6. Welcome to the world of blogging Lorraine!

    I adore your enthusiasm, energy and positivity for music, so starting your own blog is a terrific idea!

    I wish you every success - and fun - with it! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lorraine! I'm soglad to hear your news about "open" a new blog about music abd songs. I'm another passionate man and i love the same kind /type if music, but synth pop is my favourite‼️. I have my own blog, MUSIC & SONG, the firsts posts were about synth pop and the begginings of electronic music and now I'll try to share different music and ideas ( best covers, best vocalists, best videos..) The only thing is .... that is written in Spanish! I'm from Barcelona. So I'll follow you and if you want to take a look ...https://mandsongs.blogspot.com.es/2017/02/original-o-copia-best-covers-and-others.html?m=1
    Good luck��
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to read mine. I'll take a look at yours, thank you for the link!

      Delete
  8. https://mandsongs.blogspot.com.es/?m=1

    ReplyDelete

The Let's Rock Retro Festivals

LET'S ROCK - THE UK'S FAVOURITE RETRO FESTIVAL  LET'S ROCK MAIN WEBSITE : http://www.letsrock80s.com/ L...